We are seeking a dynamic and organized individual to take leadership of Tanzania-based volunteer programs in rural villages. This is an eight-month position. The position is split between Arusha and Babati towns, Tanzania.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the position are to:
- Take overall responsibility for all Tanzania-based aspects of the development, planning, execution and evaluation of volunteer programs for International Volunteers and Tanzanians, including to
- develop relationships with local leaders, teachers, and other nongovernmental organizations;
- identify appropriate homestays;
- organize a ten day orientation seminar;
- manage transportation logistics;
- recruit, select, train and manage talented Tanzanian teaching partners;
- respond to health and safety concerns of volunteers;
- facilitate community-based events;
- compile program-related data for monitoring and evaluation.
- Account appropriately for money used in the administration of the volunteer program, and follow budget guidelines.
- Participate in development of annual budgets for volunteer programs.
- Work to improve the quality of SIC volunteer programs – both in terms of the quality of the volunteer experience, and the quality of services provided to target communities.
- Select, train, supervise and support volunteer program coordinators to facilitate the program.
- Communicate regularly with other SIC staff, especially the Program Officer and the Field Officers in whose wards volunteer programs take place.
- Contribute as appropriate to monthly and quarterly SIC reports and SIC’s social media efforts
- Maintain consistent communication by providing program updates and fielding any questions that arise.
- Participate in strategic planning meetings both internal and external.
- Write Program Reports for each volunteer program, based on volunteer evaluations and staff input.
- Perform any other tasks designated by the Operations Manager, Programs Manager, and/or Tanzania Managing Director.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Experience living and working in a developing country and/or cross-cultural environment.
- Swahili language skills preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, and proven ability to multitask and to respond flexibly to changing situations.
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers.
- Strong interpersonal skills especially in a cross-cultural environment.
- Strong leadership, the ability to manage volunteer’s expectations, and the ability to be tough when necessary.
- Ability to live and work in areas with limited amenities
- Driver’s License, experience with four-wheel drive vehicles (manual transmission) preferred.
Terms: Preferably the applicant is available to begin work May 1, 2012. The position is compensated at a stipend level and resident permit costs are included. Round-trip international airfare included for those applying from outside Tanzania.
To apply: Submit cover letter and CV/resume to email@example.com by January 11th, 2013. Please subject your email “Volunteer Program Manager_your last name”.